Thursday, August 07, 2014

1947 Roswell Incident

In the otherwise scarcely populated desert neighboring Roswell, on the evening of July 3rd, 1947, a highly unusual incident happened. Mr. Dan Wilmot, business of a reputable firm, and his wife were enjoying the evening sitting in the porch when they spotted a disc-shaped bright object with lights glowing traversing in the skyline at swift speed of 400-500 miles per hour. Wilmot then realized that it was a UFO As per Dan Wilmot’s estimation, the UFO was 20-25 feet wide and appeared in the South-East before rapidly crossing across towards North-West. He immediately reported this unusual incident to the Roswell Daily Record. This account was obtained from the public records, as per information provided by the International UFO museum, following a press release in 1997.

The next morning, Mr. Mac Brazel, Foreman of the J.B. Ranch located near Tiny Corona, New Mexico, accompanied by his neighbor boy went to check in on his sheep due to the intense thunderstorms that occurred the previous night. On reaching there, Brazel discovered strange debris, including chunks of metal, spanning all over the area giving him the impression that an aircraft had exploded. He had heard an explosion too the previous night, but thought of it to be thunders owing to the weather. The debris were different from anything he had seen, as the material was light and very tough. Fascinated, he collected a few pieces of the debris and showed it to some friends and neighbors before contacting Chaves County Sheriff George Wilcox who suspected it be a part of military operations. The Sheriff got in touch with the Roswell Army Air Field and informed them of the same.

The 509th Bomb Group, an elite only-atomic outfit was based in Rowell Air Field and Major Jesse Marcel of this outfit headed the recovery and transfer operation of the wreckage to Roswell Air Field. After thorough examination, on the morning on July 8th, Colonel William Blanchard, the commander of 509th Bomb Group, issued a press release that the “crashed disk” had been recovered and on further insistence by the media said that the wreckage had been flown to higher headquarters from New Mexico.

Matter escalated quickly following this and within hours, General Roger Ramey, Commander of the Eighth Air Force at an airfield in Texas, located 400 miles from the crash site, immediately issued a second press release claiming that the Colonel and officers of the 509th Bomb Group had made an “unbelievably foolish mistake” and had mistaken a weather balloon for a crashed disk. This was a desperate event to cover up the entire incident, without Ramey knowing anything much about the wreckage. Also, people who have worked with Blanchard say that it is out of question that someone as experienced and qualified as Blanchard would never have mistaken a weather balloon for a non-earthly object.

The Roswell Air Field had a contract with Ballard Funeral Room to provide ambulance mortuary services. A young mortician, Glenn Dennis working for the Ballard Funeral Room, was contacted by the airfield prior to his knowledge about the wreckage and they asked him if small hermetically sealed caskets were available or to recommend any other method to preserve bodies that have been exposed since several days. On hearing this, Glenn was curious to learn more and hence, visited the Base Hospital, only to be forcibly walked away from the premises. But he saw two military ambulances with doors open, which carried large pieces of wreckage and one row of wreckage with unusual symbols on the surface. The next day, he managed to meet a nurse he knew from the hospital, at a coffee shop and enquired about the happenings. The nurse described how she had been assisting two doctors in performing autopsies on several “small non-human bodies.” She also spoke about how one body was in good shape while the other remained mangled and the terrible smell arising from them. She drew sketches of the same on napkins to describe the bodies.
This was the last time Glenn met the nurse, as she was immediately transferred to England.

The ranch foreman Brazel, told the Roswell Daily Record about how he regrets informing the Sheriff about the debris, as he was harassed by many enquiring about the incident. Subsequent efforts to get in touch with people who sighted the debris failed, as they were transferred or never to be located. This led to rising suspicion among the public that it is an act of a deliberate cover-up by the government regarding a huge incident. Following that, various books, interviews and articles coming from many military personnel who have been involved in the incident, only increased the suspicions.

The son of major the involved in the recovery of the wreckage, Dr. Jesse Marcel, only eleven years old at the time of the incident, happened to accompany his father during the recovery operations. He said that the debris recovered from the crash site was not thicker than the tinfoil in a pack of cigarettes. Apparently, it was so light that “the stuff weighed nothing” and still so rigid that the material did not bend nor could he make a dent on it despite trying with a 16-pound sledgehammer. Dr. Marcel has drawn with fine details the symbols he saw on the wreckage and continues to support his belief that it was a U.F.O that had crashed in 1947.